JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  

Index.dat

After reading a couple of Kim's good articles on how to delete index.dat files, I thought I would experiment a little. I'm sort of, like, really confused about something, however. [:0] One thing Kim discusses in her article is that you may choose to "manually" search for the index.dat files. One issue I encountered is, for example, on one of my paths: "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat"...When I follow the path, I get to a certain point (usually up to "Windows"), and then the next folder appears to not exist. Even after choosing "Show all hidden files, folders, drives" under "Folder options," I can't seem to figure out why I'm unable to follow the entire path to reach the index.dat file. I'm so confused. Any help would be appreciated. [8D]

There area couple ways to do it, but for long file strings I like to simply copy them and paste them in a run window Windows key + R Then Copy and paste this in the window C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5 Hit OK. However do not willy-nilly go around deleting index.dat files some of them are important to database files of various types.
Respectfully Submitted
Xhi

The Computer Whisperer
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Thanks so much for your help, Xhi. I tried your advice on several paths, but each time the windows says the folder is empty. Clearly a file exists because I am able to view contents of the file using Index.dat Suite.

I highly recommend that you discontinue the process. There is nothing wrong with leaving those files alone. There is no necessity or advantage in playing with them.Just because some geek has developed a program to do it does not mean it is useful. Are you going to trust it, or your lying eyes. Have you also unchecked Hide Protected operating system files in Folder Options?
Respectfully Submitted
Xhi

The Computer Whisperer
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Thanks for your advice, guys. I didn't see the "hide proteced operating system files" box. I guess I'm just curious about the more "techie" aspects of the computer. I know I'll never be at the "geek" level, [:o)] but I've always been rather fascinated when I hear new things, such as on Kim's show. I sort of want to try/experiment for myself. No worries, it terrifies me to delete something from my laptop that I am not 200% certain of what I'm deleting. I'll take the kindly advice of discontinuing my process. [:D]