JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
Sobie

Some Laptop keys not working!

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Pavilion dv6.3012he Laptop. The problem is the U I O P Keys and the up Key does not work on this machine. Is this a keyboard issue where the keyboard needs replacement, or something else? I would like to resolve this issue soon. I welcome ideas that bring possible resolution to this issue. Thanks

Borrow and plug in a USB keyboard. If it works properly then it is your built in keyboard at fault. If it works the same then there is a software problem.
Respectfully Submitted
Xhi

The Computer Whisperer
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

quote:
Originally posted by Sobie
USB Keyboard works when plugged in. Could it be something else other than the built in keyboard?
Not likely. Laptop keyboards are fairly easy to replace though. Check eBay.
Respectfully Submitted
Xhi

The Computer Whisperer
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

The link below is to the online vendor I always use for replacement laptop keys. I believe they also have an e-bay store front. Just select your make and model of laptop and you'll be able to order any individual keys and caps. If those particular keys don't "feel" the same as the others, with tactile feedback, they're probably mechanically broken. Since four of those keys are in a row, and one is in a different location on the keyboard, my assumption is that something banged into your keyboard surface. If the hinge or cup pieces were broken for instance, the keys themselves may not be properly sticking the contact underneath that sends the signal to the system. It should only cost a few bucks to replace all those keys, hinges and cups. When I use them, I'm usually only replacing one or two keys, so it's pretty cheap (shipping costs often exceed the price of the product). You can order the entire keyboard replacement if necessary. If physically replacing the keys doesn't solve the problem, you're probably looking at an electrical issue. For example, if liquid was spilled on the keyboard, there may be a short in the lines used by those specific keys. My assumption is that it's not a software problem as it would probably not be limited to just those specific keys if that were the case. It's an inexpensive enough attempt to purchase those specific key kits and try replacing them yourself. If that doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks, compared to what a repair shop would charge you for such an easy attempt. Just be sure not to apply too much pressure when removing old keys, or inserting new ones. I always purchase the entire kit even if I suspect only one part of being broken, just in case you brake another part during the process. The key is (pardon the pun) to use equal pressure all around the key cap when removing or inserting it. Pulling too hard on any one side will most certainly brake the hinge or its ridges that it resides in under the cap. You can even make your own custom key extractor using a couple of paperclips, which will make the process a little easier. Some people even add a key ring to the make shift tool to pull on it even easier. [:D] http://www.laptopkey.com/ga?gclid=CIjUgO_etqsCFQTu7Qod2UXquA

quote:Originally posted by Sobie

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Pavilion dv6.3012he Laptop. The problem is the U I O P Keys and the up Key does not work on this machine. Is this a keyboard issue where the keyboard needs replacement, or something else? I would like to resolve this issue soon. I welcome ideas that bring possible resolution to this issue.Thanks

id="quote">
id="quote">A trick that I have used before was to unplug the laptop, remove the battery, and hold the power button down for ten seconds. This sometimes works for electrical keyboard issues. This may help until you can replace the keyboard.