JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
BillMsenior

DSL speed slows down under XP

Been working on this problem for last 3 months, and no solutions. WRT160Nv2 router, DSL 12MB, desktop hardwired to router, gets full speed. 2nd desktop has XP Home, wireless, and will only go 3MB. Dell laptop has XP Pro, same speed problem. Took XP off laptop, put Ubuntu on, and laptop got full 12MB speed, so that should eliminate it as being a hardware problem. I have 5 other wifi profiles on laptop, and ALL those connections are, percentage wise, as slow as my home wifi (3MB = 1MB, 6MB = 2MB, etc.), again, under XP Pro. Using Ubuntu, ALL those wifi profiles run full speed. Router has the latest firmware update. Other wifi sites use various routers (2wire, Linksys, and Dlink), so it can't be a router setting. In researching this, none of the suggestions I've found (and tried) have been successful. It obviously looks like it's a WINDOWS OS flaw, but no solutions are available. I would leave Ubuntu on the laptop, but Ubuntu won't do video chat, in ANY form (have tried them all), so I need XP to use Yahoo Messenger. If anyone has had this same experience, and you were able to solve it, I would love any help. Thanks in advance.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech
A burrito a day keeps everyone away

My main desktop is Win7, wired, full speed. I tried to hardwire the laptop, but either Windopes or Dell won't see it (only the wifi works). I can't hardwire the 2nd desktop, no RJ45 card or port installed.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech

Well, looks like I stumped the panel. Do I get a prize?? [:D] Can't call in on Saturday. This problem takes too much time to resolve, and won't fit inside Kim's limited caller time slot. I guess it's time to call Leo LaPorte's THE TECH GUY show. At least his show airs at a different time than Kim's (11am - 2pm Pacific on Saturday AND Sunday).
BM
The Silver Haired Tech

You stumped me completely, but I was thinking, since it is XP giving you the problem and it's such an old OS, could it possbily have anything to do with the ongoing conversion from IPv4 to IPv6? I don't have XP anymore, but does it even have IPv6 connectivity available?

Nice idea. I don't know. Will have to check and see if Ubuntu is using IPv6, since it's getting full speed. IPv6 is available for XP, but it has to be installed. Installing it is no big issue. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt. At the command prompt, type netsh int ipv6 install and press the Enter key on the keyboard. I'm doing a backup of the laptop, so I'll check it out after it's done. In all my research on this problem, NOT ONE OTHER PERSON has mentioned IPv6. If it works, we're gonna move your classification up to GURU GENIUS. [:D] [8D] [^]
BM
The Silver Haired Tech

One last shot in the dark. Try disabling IPv6 now that it's installed - disable, not uninstall. The reason I'm suggesting this is I have Win7, 64-bit, and under Local Area Connection Status it shows: IPv4 Connectivity: Internet IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet Access and I'm getting 22 MBPS download using Comcast broadband. Won't hurt to try.

Bill, I can't figure it out. From your description, it seems that your Windows XP is locking in your laptop wireless to 802.11b protocol instead of 802.11g. Is there an updated driver for your wireless on the laptop under XP? I know Linux uses its own drivers, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out why XP drivers wouldn't support the faster speed. I remember reading that you can't get the direct connection 802.3 connection working, and I wonder if that may be part of the problem with your wireless connection.

It is on G. I already checked. I contacted Dell, but since this laptop is out of warranty, they won't help, and all I wanted was a list of WHICH drivers (that are available for FREE download on their site) came with this laptop, so I could start from there finding the problem. The list of network drivers for this laptop does not say which is the correct one. Dell leaves it up to you to figure it out. I wanted to give them the Service Tag # so they can tell me the correct one to download, but they refused to even talk to me about it. Just re-enforces my rants against anyone buying a Dell product.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech

This may not be a Dell issue. Been concentrating on the laptop, but my XP desktop also has the same problem, and it's not a Dell, so I'm inclined to think it's a Windopes issue with XP. Desktop is using a USB "N" dongle to connect to the wireless.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech

Just had a clients laptop for a virus repair, and I just proved that my Dell laptop speed problem is DELL'S. They apparently did not give me the correct drivers and the one's I'm using are causing the speed slowdown. Since Linux was running full speed, I suspected Dell support was the problem, but until now, couldn't prove it for sure. Called Dell, and they have chosen NOT to help me because I bought this laptop from a third party, and THEY can't find the former owners registration, so I'm being accused, in a round-about way, of stealing this laptop. And you wonder why I don't recommend Dell to anyone (besides their crappy hardware).
BM
The Silver Haired Tech
Politicians used to promise us a chicken in every pot. Now all we get is a turkey in every office!

I finally got Dell to give me an EXACT list of drivers for my laptop. After wiping and re-formatting, I did a virgin install, loaded the drivers IN THE ORDER DELL STATED, but still have the speed problem under XP Pro. Either Dell's driver(s), or Windows system files, are slowing the speed down. As stated before, this is NOT a hardware issue, since Linux WILL go high speed (XP is 1/4 available speed). This speed problem is so pronounced at one wifi location that using XP gets me NO connection, while using Linux gets me on at full speed (wifi router is approx. 350 feet away at this location). Other locations, the router is 10-15 feet away, but XP still gives me 1/4 speed. Laptop is too old to use Win7 (already tried it), so stuck with XP or Linux. I'm using Linux now, but wanted XP so I could use Yahoo Messenger (Empathy and Pidgin won't do video chat, already tried them). Rumor is, Yahoo is working on a Linux version, so can only hope it's sooner rather than later.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech
Politicians used to promise us a chicken in every pot. Now all we get is a turkey in every office!

I like your and xhi's problems because they're hard and intriguing. Since you have shown the problem is definitely with XP and not DSL, I found this. You may have already seen it, if not, might be worth a look. The section on TCP/IP protocol settings looked particularly interesting: http://tweaks.com/windows/37934/hacking-windows-xp-speed-up-your-network-and-internet-access/

Interesting article, but didn't help. [xx(][:(] Thanks for trying. It's hard to diagnose something when you're not 100% sure if it's a Windopes problem, or a Dell problem. Either way, there's no driver updates on either side, so, for now, I'm stuck.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech

I haven't just forgotten this. Just not spending as much time on it. I still have not solved this, and it's looking like I won't, thanks to the blame-game (Microdopes says it's a Dell problem, Dell says it's a Microdopes problem). I say it's a Microdopes problem because I have the same problem on a non-Dell machine, in addition to the fact that on the Dell machine, Linux does go full speed, which would eliminate it being a hardware problem. Maybe I'll get ambitious enough to load Win7 on the laptop to see if it will go full speed (can't leave it there, because I don't have a license for it to be on the laptop).
BM
The Silver Haired Tech
Not to complain about my love life, but the last time I felt sparks I was getting tased by the cops.

Computers can be so much fun at times (tongue in cheek). Yesterday I was fooling around with my desktop, trying some new stuff, and before I knew it - to paraphrase Dr. Frankenstein, "The experiment has gone horribly awry." Some of my programs would not access the net to update. So I started trying some things, and before I knew it, I had made the problem approximately 8X worse than it was originally. I decided I'll just do a system image restore, no problem, I have two backups. I started with the EHD with the most recent backup, just two days ago. The system image did not take, not only that, it corrupted my C drive completely. After examining the EHD today, it threw craps on me, completely locked up and inaccessible. Good timing. So then I decided to reload Win7 and do a system restore with the other EHD. Sounded easy enough. Well, this didn't go so well either. When I finished I had somehow managed to create two partitions on the internal drive, one of them being D which is where the OS was located. Computer would not boot. My wife was observing most of this, and by now had gone into hiding. I can't blame this one on faulty equipment - pure and simple operator error. Now I'm facing the reality that I might have to reload Win7 and rebuild this computer from scratch. This desktop has got A LOT of stuff on it, I mean a lot. It would take me days, if not weeks, to get it back like it was before. I decided to give the second EHD drive another shot. This time I managed to overwrite both the C and D partitions, get the image restored, and lower my blood pressure. Macrium Reflect and its boot disk bailed my rear end out. The morals here: you can't have too many backups and don't give up, don't ever give up.

AMEN on you can't have too many backups.
When I rebuilt my ex's, I made 4 image backups in one day, and today, it paid off (somewhat). [:D]
BM
The Silver Haired Tech
Not to complain about my love life, but the last time I felt sparks I was getting tased by the cops.

Do not have a clue, but XP is finally running at full speed. I did not do anything except download the updates, so I still have no clue why I was having the slowdown problem. Thanks to all that made suggestions.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech

quote:
Originally posted by BillMsenior
Do not have a clue, but XP is finally running at full speed. I did not do anything except download the updates, so I still have no clue why I was having the slowdown problem. Thanks to all that made suggestions.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech

There are so many updates, which ones are you speaking of? AskBud

My point exactly. Since I don't know what was causing the problem, can't very well determine what update, or even IF it was an update, that fixed it.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech