JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
BillMsenior

DSL speed slows down under XP

DSL speeds can slow-down in the summertime -- something about the heat, the kids off from school, etc. .

House-alarm phone-circuits can interfere with DSL, also.

Any faulty phone device (such as one has no DSL-filter on it) can interfere also -- turn off fax-machines and external-USB-dialout-devices if not in use.

You know, my father just got Verizon FiOS, and his speed is slow.

I came to the conclusion that his old XP machine just didn't have enough RAM (he has 512MB).

Either that, or his graphics-chip is ancient.

Yeah, that is not much RAM !

I"ve recently had static on my landline phone that is causing DSL-dropouts, (as the static is in the high-frequency-range).

Talking on the phone for 15-minutes seems to send enough electric-current through to clear the static-up, temporarily !

It is probably a copper-wire corrosion problem that is causing the static.

I was told a few years-ago that 18,000 feet-as-the-wire-travels-from-the-hub

(where the "hub" is the phone-company building) , is about the maximum for DSL.

I happen to be at 16,500, and sometimes, it is marginal.

I was just told today by a phone-company-technician that the modern technology has just increased the maximum distance from the "hub" to about 20,000 feet.

[8D]

Dell was caught a year-ago-or-so, manufacturing faulty computers, and lying to the Courts about it.

Rumor has it, that it got so bad that the law firm that Dell hired to represent them, themselves, had to sue Dell for the faulty computers that Dell had sold to the law firm.

But if your machine is this ancient, I don't think that you fall under this category.

[:(]

My original problem still exists. Put XP on the laptop, speed drops to 1/4th what I'm paying for. Put Ubuntu on, it goes full speed. This tells me it's NOT a Dell problem. Unfortunately, Dell IS to blame for me not being able to load Win 7 on the laptop. No Win 7 drivers available from Dell, and putting the XP drivers on failed big time. This laptop is stuck with XP or Linux, and since I have 2 hard drives, I installed XP on one, and Ubuntu on the other, and just swap them out as needed.

BMid="size3">id="blue">
The Silver Haired Techid="size3">id="green">
Never trust an Atom. They make up everythingid="size3">id="red">

Because I can't install Win 7 on my laptop. Dell decided it was too old to create Win 7 drivers. They didn't even create Vista drivers for it.

BMid="size3">id="blue">
The Silver Haired Techid="size3">id="green">
Never trust an Atom. They make up everythingid="size3">id="red">