JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
glennswett

Remote location

I am building a shop and house in central Montana. The buildings will be located down in a coolie. At present I have very spotty cell phone reception (Droid2/Verizon), no land line nor cable. If I go to the top of the coolie I get good 3G cell phone, I will be building a small pump house at or near the top of the coolie, it will be wired for 220v. I talked to Verizon and for about $500+ I can purchase a repeater ( Wilson DB Pro) and area WiFi which will be installed in the pump house. In addition to my current cell phone charges they will charge me $50/mo for internet (5g bite limit). My question is that this seem expensive what, if any, are my options.

Aside from the initial investment which you would have to face for any solution the $50 for 5GB sounds typical. Of course there is Satellite, but initial costs would certainly be more. You could get unlimited data for around $80/mo.
Respectfully Submitted
Xhi

The Computer Whisperer
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

When I was in your situation, I used WILD BLUE Satellite service. Speeds are 512K, 1M, and 1.5M, but there is a cap on how much data you can use each month (the higher the bandwidth, the higher the data). Equipment costs are around $300, and monthly costs will depend on what speed you choose. Look for a special they offer now and then offering free installation (a $150 value). STAY AWAY FROM HUGHESNET!! I have had dealings with both, and Wild Blue is the better, by far.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech
Politicians used to promise us a chicken in every pot. Now all we get is a turkey in every office!