JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
Seadog

Followup on HDTVs

See conny5 Posted - 07/23/2011 : 12:39:49

Since I was 'walking on' conny5's post I decided to continoue my enquiries as a new topic.

For MrKite:id="blue">

Since my last post I have been to Fort Campbell AAFES and saw that they have the 2 TVs I was interested in but they were a little higher priced than Electronic Express and Wallyworld since both of those stores had them on sale. However since the Exchange has the policy that they will beat any local price I intend to buy there. Saves 9-10% on Sales tax.

I kind of favor the Sharp over the Samsung, due to price, except the Samsung has 240hz refresh rate and the Sharp has 120hz. Do I really need 240hz if I don't intend to view 3D movies?

To Xhiid="blue">, You should visit Fort Campbell sometime you would not reconize it. There are many more Commands there than when you was stationed there, due to Base closings elsewhere. The Exchange Mall is the biggest Military Exchange in the world. The new Commissary,(Needed because of the increase of Troops) opened in June, is so big you could almost shop with your vehicle. Jokingly, I asked them could they let me have one of the Cashiers with a portable bar-code reader so I could shop from my Jeep.

To: All Membersid="blue">: All suggestions on HDTVs is appreciated.

Seadog

I'm certainly no expert on this Seadog, but from what I have read up to now, I doubt very seriously if you would notice any difference between the two unless you were watching 3D which you have ruled out. I personally would not let 120 vs 240 be the deciding factor. My Samsung has 120. I watch football and NASCAR, never noticed even a hint of blur. Here's a fairly recent article about it and LED's:

http://www.ehow.com/info_12152893_120hz-vs-240hz-led-tv.html

I agree with you on the 3D aspect. I have no interest whatsoever in it. I remember going to see a couple of 3D movies when I was a kid. It was new, gimmicky, and fun for about the first 15 minutes. After that it got tiresome and gave me a headache. The glasses were really stupid too. BluRay is the way to go.

Thanks MrKite, I didn't think to check eHow on it.

I remember those 3D movies where you had to wear those plastic glasses.

While I was at the Ft. Campbell Exchange I was watching a movie on one of the Demo TVs and the Saleslady handed me a pair of the 3D glasses, I couldn't tell any difference with the 3D glasses and my own glasses.

Seadog

My 60Hz 46" TV looks fine to me. Can't tell any difference between its picture and the new 120-240Hz TVs in the stores. I certainly wouldn't let the 120/240Hz determine which TV I bought.

WxMan57, Thank you for your input. If one cannot tell the difference with 60hz and 240hz then a 120hz is good enough for me. So, it looks like a trip to Ft. Campbell.(Saves 10% sales tax.)

Seadog

Well, my old eyes don't notice any motion blur when I watch football on my 60Hz 46" LCD. Here's a good write-up from PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/181089/refresh_rate.html

Even the most critical of the analysts saw little difference in picture quality when going from a 120Hz to a 240Hz refresh rate. Differences also varied from TV model to TV model, depending upon how well each brand of TV interpolated between the 24 frames/sec for film and 60 frames/sec for video.

For MrKiteid="blue"> and Wxman57id="blue"> and others interested in a new TV:

Thought it was time to let you know that I purchased a Vizio 60" LED TV Mod. E601i-A3 during the Christmas discount time. I waited to see how I, actually my wife, would like/dislike it.

After comparing the Vizio with the 60" Sharp and 60" Samsung, and asking Vizio owners what they thought of Vizio, The only negative answer from owners of the smaller sizes was "I wish I had gotten the bigger one." To me that is a good recommendation for a product.

The picture is great, I did not have to make any changes to the settings, default was fine with my wife who is the TV watcher. I don't watch enough to have one except I like to play games. Which brings up another subject. Since we bought the TV for my wife we also bought a Play Station 3 and Assassin Creed 3 (Bundled) for me. However the old 26" RCA CRT TV was so blurry I could barely read words, thought it was my eyes 'til others mentioned it. I needed a new TV to play games on, and since the Vizio was a good TV I bought a 29" Vizio, $238 at WalMart,(anything bigger will not fit in the entertainment Center)

Since the 60" TV and the Play Station 3 has Internet Apps. I had to have a Router, so I thought since the Vizio TVs were good I would get a Vizio Wireless Router XWR100, BIG mistake, Vizio should stick with TVs. I should have read some of the Amazon ratings before purchasing it, because it disconnects from the internet ever 2-3 days. I believe it is caused my overheating. Corrected by disconnecting from the power and Telephone line. Vizio has been aware of this problem a couple years and has done nothing to correct it.

I also purchased a Yamaha 5.1 Entertainment Center for the big TV. I mentioned this in the Audio/Music Topic.

Seadog

Sounds like you got some good buys Seadog, always pays to take your time and do the research.

A tip on the Play Station 3. You should check here periodically for software updates, especially since you are a gamer. Click on Support at the top, then Software Updates, then PS3. Newest version is 4.40, I installed it today.

If the TV is connected to the internet, you can install that way. Mine is not, I download the file, then transfer the download to a flash drive for installation.