JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  

Best Long Range HDTV Antenna

I live about 60 miles SW of Memphis, and 100 miles east of Little Rock. I would like to know what the best HDTV antenna is, as do NOT want dish, cable, etc. Obviously I need one with a wide range, and can't figure out which would be best. Anyone with any experience with these? Thanks. I am new to Kim's club, and looking forward to some help :-)

Welcome aboard Ruthann...CAUTION: id="red">Please remove your email address from your post. Anyone can have access to Kim's Website and some may send you Spam. Not members of this club, however.

Before I went for Satellite, Radio Shack was my source for outside antennas. They had them for different distances from the transmitting towers/stations.

Example: When I lived in a city, as at the NAS Memphis, I had a 30 mile range antenna in the attic. After retiring I lived about 50 miles from Nashville so I bought a 90 mile antenna. At that time Radio Shack had them up to 120 mile range.

Since you live a good distance from the TV stations I would suggest getting a booster for whichever antenna you choose to buy.

Note: If you don't know about antenna boosters check with anyone that has a Travel Trailer or Motor Home, they have built-in boosters.

Boosters were available at Radio Shack.

I can see your point about not wanting Satellite or cable TV, IMHO it's not worth the cost, when you can have several channels with a HD TV, a PC and a Wireless Router.

Please be advised I am in no way associated with Radio Shack and will not benefit from any purchases from them. Even tho I know the owner of the local store, after all my county has less than 25,000 population, probably has more Deer than people [:D]

Seadog

quote:Originally posted by Seadog

Welcome aboard Ruthann...CAUTION: id="red">Please remove your email address from your post. Anyone can have access to Kim's Website and some may send you Spam. Not members of this club, however.Before I went for Satellite, Radio Shack was my source for outside antennas. They had them for different distances from the transmitting towers/stations.Example: When I lived in a city, as at the NAS Memphis, I had a 30 mile range antenna in the attic. After retiring I lived about 50 miles from Nashville so I bought a 90 mile antenna. At that time Radio Shack had them up to 120 mile range.Since you live a good distance from the TV stations I would suggest getting a booster for whichever antenna you choose to buy. Note: If you don't know about antenna boosters check with anyone that has a Travel Trailer or Motor Home, they have built-in boosters.Boosters were available at Radio Shack.I can see your point about not wanting Satellite or cable TV, IMHO it's not worth the cost, when you can have several channels with a HD TV, a PC and a Wireless Router.Please be advised I am in no way associated with Radio Shack and will not benefit from any purchases from them. Even tho I know the owner of the local store, after all my county has less than 25,000 population, probably has more Deer than people [:D]Seadog

id="quote">
id="quote">

quote:Originally posted by Seadog

Welcome aboard Ruthann...CAUTION: id="red">Please remove your email address from your post. Anyone can have access to Kim's Website and some may send you Spam. Not members of this club, however.Before I went for Satellite, Radio Shack was my source for outside antennas. They had them for different distances from the transmitting towers/stations.Example: When I lived in a city, as at the NAS Memphis, I had a 30 mile range antenna in the attic. After retiring I lived about 50 miles from Nashville so I bought a 90 mile antenna. At that time Radio Shack had them up to 120 mile range.Thank you Seadog. I did remove email, but thought without the "@" it would be safe :-)I had seen in an email from Kim a while back, some info about the Leaf HDTV antenna, and did check it out with them, as K so strongly recommended it. They were most accomodating, and have just come out with a new one, but only works for about 60 miles, so puts me on the line to get Memphis.I will check with Radio Shack. Maybe they would let me return if it didn't work. There are several online; just hard to know which is best.Thank you again.Since you live a good distance from the TV stations I would suggest getting a booster for whichever antenna you choose to buy. Note: If you don't know about antenna boosters check with anyone that has a Travel Trailer or Motor Home, they have built-in boosters.Boosters were available at Radio Shack.I can see your point about not wanting Satellite or cable TV, IMHO it's not worth the cost, when you can have several channels with a HD TV, a PC and a Wireless Router.Please be advised I am in no way associated with Radio Shack and will not benefit from any purchases from them. Even tho I know the owner of the local store, after all my county has less than 25,000 population, probably has more Deer than people [:D]Seadog

id="quote">
id="quote">

I thought I had replied, but doesn't show up. Thank you for telling me to remove my email. I thought by not putting "@", it was not active for the phish-bots anyway.

Kim highly recommended the Leaf antenna a while back. I checked them out, and they ran a test and were extremely helpful, but even their new Leaf antenna only goes 60 miles, which puts me right on the edge. I can live without Little Rock, but would prefer both if possible.

It is hard to tell online about which are really the best, so appreciate you help, and will check out at Radio Shack next week when in Memphis.

Thank you again.

The best rated type of antenna for that distance is a dual or quad 'bowtie' antenna. The ones I have seen only are rated to 60+ miles, because it becomes very much weather and elevation dependent, and the actual positioning of the antenna becomes critical. There is a good article here: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/16bay.html