JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  

HDMI Standards

I have heard a lot of talk about the differences in HDMI cables. It is my understanding that version 1.3 is capable of handling 1080p signals. I also understand that there are new standards "Standard HDMI", "Standard HDMI to Ethernet" etc. that will replace the number system.

There seems to be a very huge difference in price between "Monster Cable" and the cables you can buy on Amazon. Since this is a digital signal, I have always believed that the quality of the cable didn't matter. As long as there were no frozen pictures, artifacts or jutter on the picture then the cable is OK. I suspect the only thing "monster" about the "Monster Cable" is the profit margin.

Can anyone shed some light? Should I just go with the cheap HDMI cable that appears to be doing the job?

I'm not an expert, but I think that which cable you choose depends somewhat on your system. For the typical home setup, I believe that the cheaper HDMI cables would be just fine and you would not notice any issues. Maybe if you had a very high end system the higher-end HDMI cables would be better. Or possibly if the HDMI cables are going to be hidden in a wall where they're hard to replace, then I'd go with a higher-end cable.

Thanks for the input, and the link. Good article. I read somewhere that there may be differences in the data rate of different HDMI cables, but that there are currently no consumer products on the market that could potentially overwhelm even the cheapest HDMI cable.

I'm wondering if the same marketing strategy is used to sell high end TOSlink cables, USB, so called "power conditioners", etc.

I remember buying an up-scanning DVD player a few years ago for about $120, and they wanted another $120 just for the HDMI cable. (I used a $6.99 cable instead).