JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
leftblank15

Are Bank Safari browser plug-ins a concern ?

I check my credit-card charges online daily via my Mac's Safari browser. I have discovered that, in addition to Cookies put on my Mac by my bank, the bank has installed a number of plug-ins, as detected by a 3rd-party application. I cannot find these plug-ins in my file-system, and I wonder -- are they a privacy concern ? I don't know why the bank seems to feel it has to install extra plug-ins -- aren't Adobe plug-ins sufficiently full of the necessary capabilities ?

Hi, If your own bank....and you stated it in your post...has installed third party plugins I would call the bank and ask THEM to kindly explain so you will understand as if it were me I would be on the phone as ask them for some help and they can tell you a lot more than I can tell you. From the way you described it I would say the plugins are the banks plugins..not the ones you installed. Dustin [8D]

Sorry I cannot fully satisfy your need for and answer but as I stated I really do not think you have anything to worry about if the bank is reputable and I am sure it must be. More than likely the plugins the bank uses are special for their software and they will not give out info. Dustin [8D]

I found a way around the problem. From the Safari:Preferences:Security tab, a user can turn off all plugins by un-checking a box, who's plugins, it seems, my bank doesn't require. A subsequent login to the bank's site invokes no plug-ins, so when logged-out of the bank's site, and returning to the Preferences:Privacy:Detail button, then scrolling-down to the bank's entry, no plug-ins are listed -- just Cookies (and possibly Cache) ! I'm not sure that this would work for every bank's sites.

The NSA's XKeyScore [sic] project apparently depends upon "Plugins" to work. Deleting every entry in the "Cookies/Details" registry that shows a "Plugin" on the Mac, then unchecking the "Plugins" box may contribute toward defeating this.

Apparently, according to the RT Television Network, when you sign an online agreement with Bank of America, it gives them the right to activate the webcam on your machine without them notifying you further, that they are doing it ! I wouldn't be surprised if other major banks are also doing this, and I bet that this requires a browser plug-in.