JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
BillMsenior

SSD drive

My first foray into SSD, and I want ti make sure I don't screw it up. I've create a backup of the C drive (SATA)using Macrium. If I now remove old SATA and insert SSD, can I use Macrium's RESTORE without any problems to put the system on the SSD?
BM
The Silver Haired Tech
We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.

Good question, I don't know, never tried it. I found [url="http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/"]this[/url] from How-to Geek. In reading through it, it looks like a fresh install might be easier, but knowing you are the adventurous type, we are expecting a full report on how it went ASAP. [}:)]

You can try it, but I think the size must be close. I did a defrag until I got the old one down to size. Here is a really good tutorial [url="http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149969-ssd-install-transfer-operating-system.html"]Windows 7: SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System[/url]
Respectfully Submitted
Xhi

The Computer Whisperer
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Bill, I am using Macrium and image my c drive. I have not tried to restore anything yet. Macrium offers two ways to backup. Clone and Image. I understand that if you could hook up the new ssd externally using usb or whatever and clone your c drive to it-switch the drives and the new drive should work. I think XHI is right about the size needing to be close. I think that you could use windows or gparted to size the drive before you clone it. I am anxious to find out how everything works. If I had an extra hard drive laying around I would try it! GOOD LUCK!

Thanks, guys. It didn't work. I backup only the info, not the entire partition, so it shoulda worked. Well, it sorta did work, but I had to install Windows from the DVD, THEN do the restore from Macrium. Even though I partition/formatted the SSD, the restore would not boot, and the Windows 7 Crash Recovery was totally useless. That's when I pulled out the DVD. It's up and running now, but I'm disappointed. Boot time is just as slow as the SATA HD. The SSD is hooked up to the fastest SATA (GSata3) on my mobo. Oh well, at least it's working.
BM
The Silver Haired Tech
We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.