JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
BillMsenior

Problem with Disk Management

WD 500GB SATA was working 3 hours ago, but appears to be dead. Computer Management shows the drive ({IMAGE), but all right-click options are greyed out, can't change anything. I booted from Partition Wizard, and it allowed me to do anything I wanted, so for simplicity, I created one large partition, and Computer Management shows that, but it won't show up in Control Panel under Computers. Did it die that quick, or am I missing a step?

BMid="size3">id="blue">
The Silver Haired Techid="size3">id="green">
We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.id="size3">id="red">

I installed drive as C, then installed Windows 7 from DVD, drive works, boots, etc., BUT, if you look at the image in my original post, I have the EXACT same problem in Computer Management (everything's GRAYED OUT, and it still does not appear in top pane. I've hooked this drive up externally via eSATA and USB3, same problem either way. I can hook other drives externally with NO CM problems, just this drive. WD probably will NOT allow me to return it, since it IS working. If someone has experienced this problem, I would appreciate knowing why, and if I can return it to WD for another one.

BMid="size3">id="blue">
We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.id="size3">id="red">

I just booted from it, and CM is NORMAL. I'm only having this problem when hooking it EXTERNALLY (USB3 or eSata). I want to WIPE this drive and use it externally to store data and backups, but with this drives problem on any external hookup, it's useless except as drive C boot. Windows won't see it, so I can't copy/move files/folders to it.

BMid="size3">id="blue">

just a shot in the dark, Bill ...

If you currently have the drive plugged in as an external: Disable and enable in Device Manger.

If currently installed inside the box: (I haven't had multiple HDDs; so this is just a silly wild a$$ guess.) Uninstall in Device Manager. Then reboot, and see if Windows recognizes it and installs it in the same way it does with other devices. (may not work because of plug and play feature not available.

Maybe check for a registry problem????

dontknowsquatid="size3">id="blue">

field promoted to knowssomesquatid="red">

by XHI and BillMSenior on March 8th, 2012id="green">

Can't. It does not show up under COMPUTER. The USB makes the sound that it detected it, just won't show up. In CM, my image shot is what's still there. Since it happens under both eSata and USB3, and 2 other drive work just fine under USB3, it's not the USB3 device (SIIG USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA 6Gb/s Adapter). In all my years of doing tech work, this is the first time I've had an HD work internally, but not externally.

BMid="size3">id="blue">

Back to DKS's post: you say it does not show up under Computer, but does it show up under Device Manager? When I hook my EHD's up via eSata, the first thing I have to do is go to Device Manager and enable it, THEN it shows up under Computer.

Using the IDE/SATA to USB device, after I used Partition Wizard to make the drive one big partition, and made sure it was wiped, I'm now using it EXTERNALLY on my Ubuntu laptop, having CLONEZILLA back up Ubuntu to it. Not 100% done, but close enough that I can say it's working under Linux, just won't under Windopes. [xx(][:(!]

BMid="size3">id="blue">

In Device Managerid="blue">, does it show up under disk drivesid="blue">? I believe this is what MrKite is talking about for enabling a drive and making it show up in Computer.

dontknowsquatid="size3">id="blue">

field promoted to knowssomesquatid="red">

by XHI and BillMSenior on March 8th, 2012id="green">

When I first started using eSATA I had a dongle and couldn't get it to work. I deposited it in the round file and went to a PCI card. That doesn't explain the problem with the USB3 however.

In Device Manager did you look under Other Devices and see if it might be listed as an unknown device?

YEP! No Show! BUT,id="size3">id="red"> it's now working under Windopes. I had to use Linux to partition and format it, but at that point, it still would not work in Windopes. I used it to backup my Ubuntu, using Clonezilla, and NOW Windopes sees it. Go figure. To recap, it worked internal (as the C drive with Win 7 on it), but when I removed it to install the SSD, it would not work using eSata or USB3 on the Windopes machine, but WOULD work using USB on the Linux laptop. After using Clonezilla to back up my Linux laptop, it now works when I plug it in externally on the Windopes machine. I suspect that Clonezilla corrected something (what, I've not a clue) on the drive that made it readable under Windopes. Still no clue why it worked internally, but not externally, until now.

Thanks for all you comments and help. This is one that we'll be scratching our heads over for a long while.

BMid="size3">id="blue">

@Bill, I suspect the boot sector and/or partition table entries were non-standard after you used the Windows utility. This is late to jump in and you already solved the problem, but I would have suggested using a Gparted disk or one of the Live Linux disks with Parted, Parted Magic, or Gparted to partition and format to NTFS as a last resort.

I have read of other reports where 3rd party partition managers (even Windows based) might leave a hard drive unreadable by Windows and those reports suggested only using Windows built-in Disk Manager software to partition new drives.

Windopes partitioning and formatting was greyed out on the context menu, and this was immediately after removing it to install the SSD. I used Partition Wizard to delete and re-partition it, but that didn't help under Windopes. If Clonezilla had not fixed it, my next step was gonna be GParted. The part I don't get is WHY, when I had just removed it as the C drive, after getting the SSD up and running, would Windopes not see it when hooked up externally. BTW, in testing, I removed the SSD and re-hooked this drive internally, and IT BOOTED from this drive. Took it out and hooked up the SSD, hooked this Sata externally, and NOTHING. Does not make sense. I intended to erase this drive anyway, but when I did re-partition it, Windopes would still not see it. That's when I hooked it up to my Ubuntu laptop, and IT DID see it, so I decided to try a Clonezilla backup, and the rest, as they say, is history.

BMid="size3">id="blue">