JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  

Bonehead Simple Menu Program

Back in the old DOS days we had menuing programs (the one I remember was a WordPerfect product) where we could write a menu for all of our programs so we didn't have to pull them up one by one.

I realize that Windows brought us the desktop where we can do that, but my application is to menu a CDROM with several of my documents that I want my customers to have ... some of them are pdf, some jpg, some MSWord, and some of them are "other".

I cannot find a truly bonehead menu program that I can distribute on a CDROM without learning a whole new programming language, and I can't spare the time to do that right now. Any suggestions?

Jim

Unfortunately, I can't find anything in Kim's downloads that is directly applicable to the application you describe. What I found was this: http://www.komando.com/downloads/category.aspx?id=4701

This is a search of Download.com which turned up some possibilities, while that is a category search in Softpedia. You may find what you want from one of those sources.

I also remember WordPerfect Office, but as you said, it was a DOS only product without any pretensions to usability in Windows or any GUI. Of course, in those days you could also use DOSSHELL, Fansi-console, and many other products designed mainly to create menus.

Actually, back in That Day I could have written a QDOS routine and had it up and running within a few minutes. I suppose I could haul out Liberty Basic and do a stand-alone, and I may yet do that. Right now I'm playing with AutoPlay Menu Builder, but for $99 and an hour's work I could probably have exactly what I want without all the folderol like "Hot Button" "Cool Button (Label, Text) and all that dancing baloney that overseas programmers think will be a jazz-up for their product.

Thanks for the help ... you may just have kicked me back into doing my own programming, which at one time I truly loved doing.

Jim

I did That Day with a little ® marka registrata symbol but the message board editor took off the ASCII code for the little bugger. You'da thought that if ANYbody had a Message Board program that allowed us to use ASCII it would be Kim.

Oh, well ...

Jim

jweir43,

Since you mentioned that you have some programming experience, I have a thought to throw your way. It is not necessarily "bonehead simple", but after writing the initial program, it can be used as a skeleton for future menu programs when needed. The links included give you copy/paste code and other information to make distributable CDs. This may be enough to get you up and running without completely learning a new programming language, just enough to customize the existing code for your use.

Visual Basic can be used to create interactive windows which can be used as a menu. A properly written program would look professional and make it easy on the end user of your CD. A tutorial including code and examples of the windows can be found here. Visual Studio 2010 Express is free and includes Visual Basic. It can be downloaded here. Don't choose the 2012 version, because it is intended for Windows 8 apps, web apps, etc.

After confirming that the menu program runs as intended, you have to make it redistributable. A tutorial for doing this is located here.

This is a starting point for Windows style programming for your menu. If this interests you and you get hooked, there is a free ebook download to dive deeper into Visual Basic programming. It can be found here as a free download.

dontknowsquatid="size3">id="blue">

field promoted to knowssomesquatid="red">

by XHI and BillMSenior on March 8th, 2012id="green">

Thanks, but I prefer Liberty Basic. Not quite open source, but a whole lot better than anything MicroLimp has to offer.

Jim