JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
dontknowsquat

getting rid of all remnants

Because I have not performed anything but trivial one or two registry key edits at a time, I'd like some feedback from the gurus before becoming too ambitious.

I have been working on a problem:

Lenovo M57 desktop

Win7 refurbished computer version 32-bit

This computer is straight out of the box with all Windows updates installed and two user accounts set up (one administrator and one standard user). Maybe "straight out of the box" is not entirely accurate. The owner spent two days in set-up. Immediately after installing Firefox the owner noticed nags about activating AVG Toolbar (plugin) and AVG Secure Search (extension).

Malwarebytes, Security Essentials, Windows Defender Offline (mssstool32), HitmanPro, and Kaspersky Rescue disk have not been effective in removing the culprits. I have disabled both the extension and the plug-in in Firefox, but cannot remove them from within Firefox. Revo allowed me to remove some AVG cr*p. AVG's browser configuration tool, downloaded from here, was a little helpful. However, there are occasional popups when opening Firefox.

I finally remembered a tool I have not used in a long while (autoruns.exe) and used it to disable all AVG related entries it found. Here is a list of what autoruns found:

quote:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run id="blue">

vProt VProtect Application (Official) c:\program files\avg secure search\vprot.exe

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objectsid="blue">

AVG Security Toolbar toolbar.dll (Official) AVG Secure Search c:\program files\avg secure search\17.3.0.49\avg secure search_toolbar.dll

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbarid="blue">

AVG Security Toolbar toolbar.dll (Official) AVG Secure Search c:\program files\avg secure search\17.3.0.49\avg secure search_toolbar.dll

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Servicesid="blue">

vToolbarUpdater17.3.0 ToolbarU Application (Official) AVG Secure Search c:\program files\common files\avg secure search\vtoolbarupdater\17.3.0\toolbarupdater.exe

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Servicesid="blue">

avgtp AVG Technologies c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtpx86.sys

id="quote">
id="quote">

Because my research on the AVG cr*p removal has not been very helpful, I am considering removing the registry entries listed above, not to mention any AVG related folders left over in the paths listed. Of course, I will create an image backup (macrium reflect) and registry backup (ERUNT) to fall back on in the event of disaster.

As the gurus I am addressing, would you proceed as I have outlined, or would you advise otherwise? I am not sure if I should check for any processes that these entries are tied into or not.

Thanks for your guidance!

KnowsSomeSquatid="size3">id="blue">

Four Star Techid="red">

Promoted by Komando Club Membersid="green">

DO IT!id="size4">id="red">

In addition, go into SERVICES and DISABLE AVG (if it's still listed).

If there are any process' they are tied to, you will be notified when you try deleting them.

BMid="size3">id="blue">
The Silver Haired Techid="size3">id="green">
Computers are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open Windows.id="size3">id="red">

Sounds like a good plan to me, as long as you back up the registry I don't see a problem.

Peruse the Services carefully, sometimes services can be listed under the manufacturer's name, not the program's name.

Thanks for the feedback. The job is completed. ...clean computer, faster startup, no popups, extensions and plugins gone...

There were at least 30-40 registry entries. ...I wish I had taken a tally. ...Leftover folders were in program files, app data folders for both users, and Mozilla folders for both users. It was pretty invasive.

It's too bad the Googled fixes didn't provide a solution not requiring all the manual fixes.

Thanks again!

KnowsSomeSquatid="size3">id="blue">

Four Star Techid="red">

Promoted by Komando Club Membersid="green">