JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
StephenB

Smart TV vs. Smart A/V receiver vs. smart BlueRay

I'm in the market for a new HD TV 47-50 inches but do I really need a Smart TV? I just upgraded my A/V receiver that connects to my network and gets Pandora, etc. I also have TIVO which gets Pandora, YouTube, etc. I have an older DVD player and I understand the new Blue Ray units are Smart. So do I really need to spend the extra money for a SMART TV? Or will my current equipment and/or a new Blue Ray do the same thing?

A new blu-ray player will connect to the internet as a smart TV would. Have you priced TVs? I'm not sure there is any difference in price and non-smart TVs may be getting hard to find.

Thanks for the info. You're right, the non-smart TVs are very hard to find especially in a good brand name. So, we ended up with a beautiful 47" Sony for $999. It's just the right size for our room. Then we had to buy a Bluray DVD player for $79. We didn't get the 3D version DVD player as I don't think we'll ever want to use that feature even though we got 4 pair of glasses with the TV. And my new A/V receiver is 3D ready. Now I have my TIVO, Onyko A/V receiver, Sony TV, Sony Bluray all wireless connected to my home network. Now if I can figure out how to use one remote my wife would be really happy.

quote:Originally posted by wxman57

A new blu-ray player will connect to the internet as a smart TV would. Have you priced TVs? I'm not sure there is any difference in price and non-smart TVs may be getting hard to find.

id="quote">
id="quote">