JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
profbob

annoying Firefox dictionary

Once in a while I find Firefox open to a "Pwars-Dictionary..." window. I looked at Programs in Windows and find no listing for it to delete it. I also checked Add-Ons in Firefox but there is no listing. How can I get rid of this feature?

I did a search on "Mozilla dictionary" and came up with sites for "dictionary popup" addon in Mozilla, but it is not listed under Addons within my Firefox browser. I'll try and contact Mozilla about it and let you know if I find anything.

When I encounter something this, I attempt to find and remove it using [url="http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html"]Revo Uninstaller Free[/url]. Then I search:
  • C:\Program Files
  • C:\Program Files (x86)
  • C:\ProgramData
  • C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData
and remove anything with the same name as the offending program. Please note: It is wise to set a system restore point and make an image backup before removing the files found during the search. If things go foul during the removal process, you can restore your computer.
KnowsSomeSquat
Four Star Tech
Promoted by Komando Club Members

I was in middle of just playing a word game when that darn dictionary opened in my new reinstalled Firefox again. I'll try what you suggest but if that does not work I am going to uninstall Firefox permanently and use Chrome or some other browser (although not Explorer).

Dontknowsquat: I did find "Dictionary" folder under Firefox folder in Program Files (x86) folder and deleted it. I'll let you know if the dictionary is still a problem in a day or tow, unless appears sooner.

I don't think that is the one you wanted to remove. I believe it is the one used for spell check. You wanted the one you described in your first post, "Pwars-Dictionary". If you have problems, you may find it necessary to remove Firefox and install it again.
KnowsSomeSquat
Four Star Tech

BillMsenior is right about the possibility of malware. I just reread the first post. I thought I saw that a scan was run... my mistake... There was nothing about a scan. The best program to run is [url="http://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/"]Malwarebytes Free[/url]. Click on the FREE DOWNLOAD. Run a full scan, and remove everything it finds. BTW: The folder which profbob removed is located in this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\dictionaries
KnowsSomeSquat
Four Star Tech

Bill, I do have the dictionaries folder in the path I gave in my last post. I believe it is part of the way I configured my preferences. Tools > Options > Advanced tab > the section for browsing > check box "check my spelling as I type" This gives me spell check similar to MS Word including a right click context menu with spelling options.
KnowsSomeSquat
Four Star Tech

I did run Malware bytes as well as Ccleaner and they cleaned up stuff. Still, it popped up again while playing a word game with a definition of a word that I just spelled out in game. The site is dictionary.com. Is there a way I can block this site in Firefox? Else I just won't use Firefox anymore.

After doing a little googling "pwars' I found this..."http://forum.gangsatwar.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3826&start=20" and after trying to read and not understanding what the people were saying I would want to get rid of Pwars too. Seadog