JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
shortchange

Loss of Internet Ownership

Can those who are knowledgeable enlighten us on what we can expect from the decision to relinquish ownership of the web. Will we loose things like Voip, free and open posting of Tweets or Facebook items. What will happen to our American desire for markert place competition? Help me out here and FYI I am no fan of this utter incomprehensibly stupid move from out gov. Thanks, Shortchange

According to various 'talking heads' who contradict one another, it may take a while before we really know what will happen.  This happened more because of pressure from our allies and friends who don't like depending for their infrastructure on a US regulated entity, who according to Edward Snowden, also snoops on all traffic which comes within their reach.  Right now, the major change is that the US Dept. of Commerce will no longer control what domain name 'extensions' are assigned to countries, such as the .tv, .me, .guru, .co.uk, .co.au, etc. domains.

According to the WSJ, Less than a month after announcing its plan to abandon U.S. protection of the open Internet in 2015, the White House has stepped back from the abyss. Following objections by Bill Clinton, a warning letter from 35 Republican senators, and critical congressional hearings, the administration now says the change won't happen for years, if ever.

"We can extend the contract for up to four years," Assistant Commerce Secretary Lawrence Strickling told Congress last week, referring to the agreement under which the U.S. retains ultimate control over the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, known as Icann. If the administration makes good on that reassurance, it would punt the decision to 2019 and the next president.

Now we have to rely on the Commerce Dept!!??

Sign in to follow this  

-advertisement-