JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
nellie37

Streaming laptop to TV - NO HDMI

I would like to try to stream internet from my laptop to the flat screen tv but I don't have an HDMI port on the laptop.  I'm going to try the VGA cable and audio cable.  If by some miracle I succeed what I'm wondering is when I'm finished streaming and want to go back to watch regular tv and use of laptop, I have to remove all the cables again and restore monitor settings, etc.  I'm afraid of succeeding with the streaming but then messing up the normal functioning of the TV and laptop when I'm finished.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

Without seeing your TV, I'll make this statement. My TV requires I use VIDEO1 for my laptop connection, and CABLE for TV, therefore, no pulled cables to watch one or the other, just your remote. If your TV is different, please let us know what you have.

BillM

Thx for responding. first let me admit I don't know what I'm doing, just watching bits of youtube trying to figure this out.  My tv has a lot going on in the back.  There is basically 3 sections. one section that says HDMI on top where the cable wire connects the tv to the box.  Beneath this is the VGA port and 2 audio ports next to it (Audio and Audio out, which one?).  Then the other 2 sections are labeled Component In 1 & Component In 2 with lots of ports for what I don't know.  There are also some Video ports, including the Video 1 you mentioned next to them but what I'd put in them I don't know. If there is something I can use other than a VGA male to male let me know considering my laptop doesn't have a HDMI port.  Thank goodness there is only one VGA port so I don't have to fret about where to put that. Based on the youtubes I watched I'm going with the audio port right next to the VGA not the audio ports in the 'Components' sections.  Do I use audio or audio out?  I would ultimately like to forego my cable bill so this is making me curious to try.  It sounds like you can keep the wires and settings permanently and just go back and forth with your remotes?  Thx again for responding....

You don't have to unplug the cables.  Just use the TV remote and switch to the proper input for regular TV or whatever input you plug the PC into (VGA and audio ports).  Note that the resolution of VGA will be rather low (640 x 480 pixels) compared to HD TV (1920 x 1080 pixels). The image will look like old non-HD television.  Pretty bad.

You don't have to unplug the cables.  Just use the TV remote and switch to the proper input for regular TV or whatever input you plug the PC into (VGA and audio ports).  Note that the resolution of VGA will be rather low (640 x 480 pixels) compared to HD TV (1920 x 1080 pixels). The image will look like old non-HD television.  Pretty bad.

wow.  that is low.  maybe I should just get a different laptop with an HDMI port (and Windows 7 if I could find one instead of 8) Lol!

this was a fairly cheap refurbished job.....Thanks

That may be your best option if you are really serious about this and plan to eventually ditch your cable.  HDMI is the best of both worlds, high def video plus audio in one cable.

There are still laptops available with Win7:  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4937

Toshiba, Acer, and Lenovo  are brands we generally recommend.

Want to join the conversation? Become a Kim's Club member Sign in
-advertisement-