JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
Seadog

What's in a Name

Being an inquisitive person, (I know about, curiosity killing the cat),But when I see something that I don't understand I look for an explanation.

Example: The 'words/letters' people use for user names on forums.

How do you come up with them? Mine is self explanatory, more or less, being a retired Swab Jockey.  

But, I have always wondered what "Xhi" means and how did the Major come up with it. At first I thought it may be a phrase the Paratroopers use, i.e., "Ten High", Like Sailors use "Aye" or "Aye Aye", or I thought it may be a Roman numeral, but there is no H, as far as I know, in Roman Numerals.

Further research yielded the following results:

Note; There are two names listed so this may not apply to the Major.

These are my own additions; (?)=Don't know, (True)=Imho

• The name of Xhi-Qua gives you a practical, shrewd nature with interests in business and the world of finance.(?) (But could be True)

• You judge most things by their material value and you are usually pre-occupied with seeking your own financial independence. (?)

• You desire to be in a position of leadership, for you can see where all the details fit into the overall situation and you have analytical and organizational ability. (True)

• You are seldom open to new ideas, except those you can prove to yourself in a tangible way.(First part, wrong, second part True.)

• Imaginative, theoretical, or inspirational ideas are of little interest to you. (Wrong)

• In close association you are not often attentive to the needs of others. (Definite wrong)

• It is difficult for you to demonstrate tenderness and warmth and, consequently, personal relationships are not as harmonious as you wish them to be. (Wrong)

• Having a large appetite, you could over-indulge in food causing a weakness in your health in the digestive and eliminative tract. (?) I wouldn't know about this, but I have seen pictures of.)

• Health problems could also arise in the prostate gland and male generative organs later in life. (This is probably True, H**l, It most likely has happened to most old men. :)

By the way, Major, if it is not too personal, What does "Xhi" mean?

Seadog

I know I've done this before but searching the forum for "the name xhi" got no results and oddly enough searching for "xhi" got no results. Oh Well I guess something more for them to fix.

In any event...

It is really a fairly innocuous explanation. Back in the 70's when the army was getting some terminals in to their mainframe computers we had to have ID's and passwords. At the time I was also interested in the stock market. I knew that the best companies had 3-letter IDs like IBM. So I selected Phi for the first three letters of my last name as my ID. 

As an aside being a tall Army officer (6'6") and in a green uniform I was often known as the Jolly Green Giant. My secretary, after I chose Phi for my ID, even posted a sign over the office door "Phe, Phi, Pho, Phumb".  But I digress...

This was my computer ID in USArmy Europe for 5 years.  When I returned to the States I Used it again. There was this new dial-up computer access you could actually have from your home with a 300 baud modem. It was called AOL. 

So I tried to sign up for Phi as my user name. Sadly it said it was not available. So still wanting to  maintain my prestigious 3-character name, I tried others and settled on replacing the P with an X. That worked and to this day I am still Xhi@aol.com some 25 years later. Although I hardly ever use it any more.

Since then I found that Xhi was pretty unique and I could have it  at many other ISPs, forums,  and email programs, Social sites and other places that need an ID, around the internet. As a secondary backup for sites that already have a Xhi or do not allow 3-character names I use Xhimit which came from my character in Everquest which had a race of frog people. So I combined Xhi and mit (from the end of Kermit the frog). So sometimes you might find me, like on Twitter, and other places as @xhimit

My wife picked it up and used it as a nickname for me and so have others. She became known by her computer handle, “Chefkat”, too, being a great cook named Katheryn. I am known in the neighborhood as Xhi, The Computer Whisperer. My web site, sparse as it is, is of course xhi.us.

I have never liked my first name, but in deference to my parents I promised myself not to change it until they died. Mom finally went to the Lord 2 years ago at 105. So maybe Xhi it will be. I have had several nicknames in my life including the Jolly Green Giant above and Tiger, Poots, Tiny, O, Big O, among others. All after my Grandmother died, since she always said that if anyone called me by other than my given name she would "Chase them away with a broom!".

So Xhi has stuck. 

And that Grasshopper is the story of Xhi.

Thanks, Xhi. Mystery solved, and without me having to shell out 10 or even 5 bucks. 

To the other two that tried to rip me off...Phe, Phi, Pho, Phumb to you.  :)   Who could ever imagine that some one on this Forum would try to run a scam on a fellow  member, Shame...shame  :P  :angry:  :)

Seadog

Mine dates back to an ancient email system in use in the '80s.  Before the days of direct access to the internet a lot of traffick was handeled on the POTS lines by local bulletin boards.  One popular system for email between users was called FIDOnet.  The name came from the way it worked.  At a prearranged time a node on the system (a BBS) would call up another node (another BBS) and "fetch" any mail that was being fowarded to other users down the line.  A message might have to go through several systems to get to a user.  I used to play email chess with a user in anchorage and it took about 3 days for the emails to reach each other (that still beat the post office).

Anyway, due to system limitations and custom of that era no one used their real names, they stuck to names 6 characters or less.  I didn't come up with "Digrieze" (or Digrize back then) my friends stuck it on me.  It comes from a series of novels by Harry Harrihausen called "The Stainelss Steel Rat".  As I got out onto the greater internet in the '90s I found no one had a clue who "Hugh Echols" was, but the basic programs and tutorials I had written up for the Altair, Sinclair, Commodore, and ATARI 8, 16, & 32 bit computers made Digrize (mutated to Digrieze) known on several continents.  Even when I was on CompuServe (as 72247,1223) people still knew me better as Digrize, I finally realized I was stuck with it.

Yours truly, Hugh H. Echols, 72247,1223, Digrize, Digrieze

I use mine (wxman57) in a lot of places online.  The first two letters "wx" are a common meteorological abbreviation for "weather".  So when I see "wxman57" I see "weatherman57".  I've been a meteorologist for the last 35 years, specializing in hurricane forecasting.  The 57 is simply my birth year.  I added that as "wxman" was taken by someone else on another forum.

Sign in to follow this  

-advertisement-