JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
chark86

Can't upgrade a MacBook Pro that came with OS 10.9 to El Capitan (10.11)

My sister has a MacBook Pro she received last year at Christmas. For some reason, it never got upgraded to Yosemite. I don't know why. I tried to help her a few times now to upgrade to 10.11 - El Capitan. It shows a progress bar and takes hours to complete except it always ends up saying it could not be completed. It gives no reason. We were able to do security updates, but not the upgrade. I'm not real familiar with Macs. I'm a PC person and I don't really know what to look into. She's not techy at all. Any ideas what to do or look at? I live about the 30 miles from her so I don't get lots of access to her Mac. If there's things I can call her over the phone for her to try, I'll do that. Thanks!

Can your sister check her open storage space? El Capitan requires 8.8 GB of free storage space above the minimum requirements for the existing system according to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475 , along with 2 G RAM. Inadequate free space on your hard drive/SSD is the most common problem causing an upgrade to fail to complete.

Thanks, I'll have to check on that. She's only had it a year and she doesn't use it a lot and she doesn't store lots of photos or videos, etc., so I don't know that storage should be the problem, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Can your sister check her open storage space? El Capitan requires 8.8 GB of free storage space above the minimum requirements for the existing system according to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475 , along with 2 G RAM. Inadequate free space on your hard drive/SSD is the most common problem causing an upgrade to fail to complete.

I had her check her storage - 471GB free, and her RAM memory - 4GB. So, it must be something else. On Saturday when I was with her, I checked her firewall and it was turned off, so it couldn't be that either. I've since had her turn it on. I don't know how it got turned off. Thanks.

Could your sister take her computer to a friend's place which has faster Internet access and unlimited data? Something else which has bitten me in the past is hitting a time/data limit when I was using dial-up.  There may be a similar limit from her ISP for the maximum amount of data transfer allowed in one session.  She might also try a download manager to grab the files which would allow her to resume interrupted download attempts.

Could your sister take her computer to a friend's place which has faster Internet access and unlimited data? Something else which has bitten me in the past is hitting a time/data limit when I was using dial-up. There may be a similar limit from her ISP for the maximum amount of data transfer allowed in one session. She might also try a download manager to grab the files which would allow her to resume interrupted download attempts.

I don't know about taking it somewhere else. She has DSL with, I think, Verizon. Or ATT. She's out of reach now until after the holidays, so I can't pursue this any further right now. I don't know if my internet is any better than hers. I've been trying since early Nov to back up my iCloud on my iPhone and it kept failing until finally today. So, I may have the same problem. I'll have to ask her if any of her closer friends have better internet service. Thanks.

-advertisement-