JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
bearrfoot

Backup Problems with Win 7

Hello,

For years I used a program called XXclone to back up my Win XP computers.  This program creates a clone of your entire HD on a new HD.  When I upgraded to Win 7 it didn't work anymore.  Not even the version of XXclone that was claimed to work on Win 7 (XXCLONE64 v2.07.2).  Actually, the cloning part seemed to work, but I never found a way to get the new HD to boot.

After working at it for quite some time, I tried using the Win7 DVD to do a "system repair" on the backup HD.  How happy I was to see this worked...!  The Backup HD now boots...!

But such success only led to a new problem...

I soon discovered that when I update data in an EXCEL spreadsheet, and go to save the file, it gives an error message to the effect of:  "Cannot save file under original name.  File has been saved under XXXX XXXX (appears to be 8 random characters.)  Open this file and rename it."

Trouble is, when I do that, it just repeats the same message and re-saves the file under a name with a different random 8 characters...!  (These random file names DO go into the correct folder, fortunately.)

I have now determined that this problem ONLY happens with EXCEL files...!  (At least, not with Notepad or Wordpad.)

---------------------

OK, so then I went back to another Backup solution -- "DriveImage XML" -- Kindly suggested on this board, that I had good success with for a couple months.  But then for no apparent reason, it just quit working.  I create a primary partition on the Backup HD, run Driveimage  "Drive to Drive" Copy, and it chokes.  It acts like it's working, even clocks the percent done number all the way up to 100%, then pops up a window saying "Failed to Complete"... Even appears to destroy the partition that I had created on the Backup HD, either formatted or not...!

Well, now I have no way to back up my system. (I guess I should mention that I have NEVER been able to make any Microsoft backup/restore software work...!)

So now I'm looking for a new backup solution.  Anybody here have any suggestions...?

Thanks...!

Gerry

--------------------------

System Info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ASR960
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1640, 2700 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 10/2/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name ASR960\Gerry
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 778 MB