JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Randy_TX

Connecting a flat screen tv to non-amplified speakers

I have an old console TV which I am having converted to an entertainment credenza.  I have gutted the TV from the cabinet, but left the speakers intact.  I want to use these as external speakers for my flat screen as they have excellent tone.

I have been told that I can connect these to the flat screen by purchasing a line output converter, which basically takes the input signal from the RCA jacks and gives you a pair of speaker wires to connect your speakers to.  An example is the one at this link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.htm

Others say that this the exact opposite of what I need and will need an amplifier between the TV and the speakers. 

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given as to how I can accomplish what I want to do!

My opinion is that you need at least an amplifier, since your flat screen TV will probably not be able to drive your speakers from any 'headphone' output, and any other connection will just drive the pre-amplifier input of an amplifier.

Want to join the conversation? Become a Kim's Club member Sign in
-advertisement-