JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
shortchange

Number pad stopped working

The number pad on my Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 has stopped working. I am using Windows 10. This happened with no warning; the only numbers I can use are on my keyboard above the letters. Also, the numbers on the onscreen keyboard do not work either. I have updated my driver and checked everywhere I know to check. Thanks for any help. Shortchange

When diagnosing any PC problem, always begin with the obvious. So, with no intention of insulting you in anyway, have you made sure your Num Lock wasn't pressed by mistake?

Since you stated that the onscreen numpad is also disabled, I can assume your answer to my previous question was no, but I still had to ask. If it does turn out to be that your Num Lock key disabled the physical numpad, it's also possible that a similar setting has been applied to your onscreen keyboard. Consider the possible fixes below.

First: Determine whether there is a problem with your keyboard itself. Try plugging the keyboard into another PC and see if the numpad works there. Then, I would usually say to be sure to check for any updates to the device driver/software package for that particular keyboard; however, there is no special device driver or software needed since this is a Microsoft keyboard and all necessary drivers are already included in Windows.

Second, Enable Onscreen Numpad: Press the Windows key and the letter U at the same time to access the Ease of Access Center. Tap or click on Start On-Screen Keyboard. Tap or click on the button that says Options. Make sure the check box that says Turn on the numeric keypad is checked. With the numpad visible, make sure the Num Lock button is highlighted and the numbers in the numpad are visible (as opposed to the directional arrows and other alternative keystrokes.

Third, Num Lock Disabled: If pressing the Num Lock key on your physical keyboard does in fact enable the numpad, consider configuring Windows to automatically enable the Num Lock feature at startup. This requires a small registry hack and/or a little trick is using Windows 10's Fast Startup feature, and even a single wrong character can cause other issues with your PC. So, I've provided a link below to a How-TO Geek article that provides step-by-step instructions along with screen shots.

How-To Geek Article: Enable Num Lock Automatically When Your Computer Starts

Let us know if any of these fixes does the trick for you. Just about the only other option would be that you have a broken keyboard, but then that wouldn't explain why your on-screen keyboard's nupad is behaving the same way.

Paul, I got my sound problem fixed and thanks for the help; however, my numpad is exactly that num(b). I think I'll just get a new keyboard but I did try my touch keyboard and the number pad there does work. If I had hair I'd pull it out. But at least I have sound now.

Okay, so if the numpad on the onscreen keyboard is working, but the physical one on your keyboard is not, then it's probably just a faulty keyboard. Luckily, they are very inexpensive to replace. You might even consider purchasing a more standard keyboard, and pairing that with a separate keypad such as the ones linked to below. It would require the use of another USB port, but the two devices would function entirely independently from one another. I personally like the ability to put it away when not needed, and allowing the keyboard to take up less desk space; or fit into a standard keyboard drawer. Then, when I need to crunch some numbers in Excel or work on taxes, I can quickly pull out the numpad and have the full benefit of using the much faster 10-key typing compared to using the row of numbered keys on the keyboard.

Amazon.com: USB 10-key Numpads

-advertisement-