JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
rogerlee42

Conflicting Software

I have an HP Desktop computer running Windows 10 Home . I mainly use Microsoft Edge, but sometimes use Firefox or Chrome. My computer has been running slower lately at times and I'm looking for reasons. I currently run anti-virus software AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and IObit Malware Fighter. Could these two programs be in conflict if they are running at the same time? I've forgotten what type of softweare can run together and which can't.

Thanks,

Roger

AVG is what is called a 'real-time virus scanner'. Two 'real-time' scanning programs which actually look at all downloads of sites, email, and applications as they are downloading are likely to conflict.  I don't know if IObit is a real-time scanner or one you must manually initiate all scans.  If it is like Malwarebytes free anti-malware, then it will not conflict and cause your problem.

If your computer is just slowing down in your browser then the problem is unlikely to be an infection, and much more likely that your ISP Internet Gateway is being choked by enough traffic to slow down the gateway to the Internet.  My DSL Internet slows down between 3:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. because of the increased Internet traffic in the local area, for example.

I agree with cwsnyder2, but I would go a step further to troubleshoot your slow down while using your web browser. You said you mostly use Microsoft Edge as your web browser, but also have Firefox and Chrome. When you experience a slow down in web traffic, is that slow performance persistent across all three browsers? If so, then it probably is either a problem with your ISP, your ISP is throttling your connection because of high use, or there is an issue with your modem or router. However, if at least one alternative browser functions normally while the slow down is apparent in another, then you probably have a specific browser setting, extension/add-on or infection (e.g., browser helper object type infection) in that particular browser that is causing the issue.

You can also test your connection on Safari or Opera, or even on your smartphone or tablet. There are several networking apps available for your mobile device that will detect your home WiFi signal and tell you its strength (if you're connecting to your router via WiFi). Other apps will run speed tests on your network to help identify bandwidth problems with your connection to your ISP. Likewise, you can also visit certain websites that offer speed tests as well. You can visit such a website with all your browsers to see if there is a difference between then. If so, you have a local problem you will need to tend to; if not (and the slow performance is persistent with all browsers), then you should contact your ISP's customer support. If they determine there is a problem with a modem they supplied you with, they should replace it at no cost to you. However, speed problems originating outside your modem;s connection may not be addressable unless they upgrade their network or cables in your area.

SpeedTest.Net

SpeedTest.net Android app

SpeedTest.net iOS app

-advertisement-