JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sobie

Problems with Microsoft Word 2002, worked now it's not.

Computer is running Windows 7 and Microsoft Word 2002.  Whenever I try to open a word document that is saved to the desktop it says there was a problem sending the command to the program.  If I open word, and then open the document from within word, it will open, but this is a real pain and I would like to be able to open it from the desktop.

If I do the same thing with Open Office, it opens no problem. Can Open Office be the problem?

Thank you for your help!

No, OpenOffice is not the source of the problem. You just need to check your file associations to make sure Office 2002 (aka Office XP) files are set to properly open with their respective programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.). With that said, it's also important to note that Office 2002 is no longer supported by Microsoft. In fact, the extended end date of support for Office 2002 programs was July 12, 2011. Windows 7 was released 2009 and its mainstream support end date was January 13, 2015, with its extended support end date being January 14, 2020. So, while Office 2002 should still work with Windows 7, there are some known issues with that pairing and there will only be more and more issues as Windows 7 continues to be updated and patched (since Office 2002 is no longer receiving updates and hotfixes). Of course, this also means that Office 2002 is becoming more and more vulnerable to malware infections as time goes on. So, my recommendation is to either uninstall Office 2002 and stick with OpenOffice (or LibreOffice); or, upgrade to Office 2016. Another alternative is to subscribe to Office 365, which provides you with access to each program's web version, as well as continued access to the latest desktop version of the Office suite. This way, you will always have the latest, most secure versions of all the Office programs and gain the benefit of saving/synchronizing your files with OneDrive and the ability to access those files from multiple devices (including your mobile devices). Also, you can install the desktop programs on up to three different computers without having to purchase additional licenses. So, the monthly subscription cost would definitely mean paying less overall for Office 2016 on as many as three desktops/laptops. But, if you don't want to part with your money, OpenOffice or LibreOffice are very capable of working with all your existing Office files. There's also portable versions of OpenOffice and LibreOffice you can install on a thumb drive and run on any PC you connect that drive into. And there's also Mozilla Thunderbird as a good, reliable Outlook replacement (also available in a portable format); or you can stick with webmail in your browser.

Thanks for your input.

How do I check my file associations to make sure Office 2002 (aka Office XP) files are set to properly to open with their respective programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).

Thanks

Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations.  Select the Microsoft Word file types (.doc and .docx) and click Change Program.  Choose Word as the default program for both file types and you should be good to go.

You can also right-click on the file you are having trouble with and choose Open With...  Choose Word as the preferred program and use the check box to always use that program for that file type.  Or, you can right-click on the file and choose Properties > General > Type Of File > Change, and choose Word as the default program.

If this solves your problem, you're good to go for now.  But like I said, you will probably notice more and more problems with Office unless you upgrade to Office 2016/Office 365 or uninstall it and use OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Want to join the conversation? Become a Kim's Club member Sign in
-advertisement-