JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
JANDJTOGETHER__

Adobe flash player plug in

I just read one of Kim's articles and it talks about the dangers of adobe flash plug-ins. I just reformatted my computer and when I tried to see if I had the most recent version of flash player in my computer it said it could not find the plug-in so I installed it. I am aggravated and don't know what to do. Adobe flash is updated through my window updates so I guess I need it for my windows computer.  I also installed the most recent version of flash player I found in Kim's article where it lets you download the most recent version. Should I uninstall the flash player plug-in? Then I won't know what version I am using. Could someone help very confused  and aggravated with this. I WANT MY COMPUTER TO BE SAFE !            Thanks

That's a personal decision for you to make. Flash is a technology largely being replaced with the media capabilities of HTML5 and beyond, and many websites have completely switched to that alternative. However, there are still some sites that use Flash to deliver videos, audio streams and animations. A few even still remain that use Flash to generate their entire home page. If you remove Flash from your system, those sites will not function. You may consider yourself safer from possible infection, but it would be at the cost of not being able to access certain websites, or at least not being able to experience them correctly. In my personal opinion, I'd stick with it, but just make sure you keep it updated with all the latest security updates. It's one of those situations where it's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it (which would most likely be at the most inconvenient time, because I all know that's how computers work. ;-)

I'm just not a fan of security by obscurity. In this case, if you're just gonna eliminate something for the sake of security, you might as well not stop there and just never connect to the Internet. For that matter, how about never using a computer at all (since it's also possible for someone to infect your computer via a USB or optical drive). As silly as that sounds, that's exactly how I feel about the idea of eliminating things like Flash and Java for the sake of security. For example, you're 100% guaranteed not to get into a car accident if you never drive a vehicle, right? But would you give up driving altogether, or just make sure you're wearing your seat belt and your air bags are activated? You can also choose a vehicle with a better safety rating and safety features not available in others. Sure beats walking everywhere, doesn't it?

Essentially the same program, but coded to work with their respective web browsers. You'll notice that the version numbers are identical in both, meaning they are both the same version of the Flash plugin. The difference is that the one with PPAPI in the name is specific to Chromium based web browsers; which includes Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and others. PPAPI is an acronym for Pepper Plugin API (Application Programming Interface), which is used in Chromium based web browsers to enable Adobe Flash and built-in PDF viewer capabilities.

The one with Active X in the name is specific to the Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser. Active X controls are similar to an API for Internet Explorer, and no other web browser uses them. Websites that use Active X controls require that you view them in Internet Explorer. As a result, most websites have ditched the use of Active X controls because Internet Explorer is being phased out by Microsoft, who is attempting to replace it with their newer (although not fully developed) Edge web browser, which is a more modern browser based on Chromium. Active X controls are known for their security vulnerabilities, and that contributed greatly to the rise in popularity of alternative web browsers like Firefox and Chrome. With so many better web browsers available, it actually made sense to use them instead of Internet Explorer. However, you still cannot uninstall Internet Explorer without some consequences as it is still an integral part of the Windows operating system. In fact, it's still used in the background to power Windows Update. The next version of Windows might see a complete elimination of anything Internet Explorer related; provided that they are able to polish off the Edge browser by then.

So for now, you should expect to see both iterations of the Adobe Flash Plugin as long as your PC has Internet Explorer and one or more Chromium based web browsers. Again, just be sure to keep them up to date and you'll as protected from security vulnerabilities as possible. Nothing is ever 100% secure; there's always the possibility of getting infected by something new before it is brought to the attention of OS and security software developers and patched accordingly. All you can do is stay up to date and run regular security scans, to greatly decrease the likelihood of infection or data theft. And as always, your web browsing activities are always capable of bypassing any and all security you have in place. So the most important thing to practice safe browsing and be very careful about what you download or visit online; whether via your web browser or your e-mail client.

Follow the link below and choose your operating system and web browser. Alternatively, you can just visit adobe.com in the browser you are using (e.g., Internet Explorer) and follow the appropriate link to install the Flash plugin. It will automatically install the appropriate one for the browser you are using.

http://adobe.ly/2eDJCAG

IIRC the articles I have read on the Internet news sites, 'When with Flash be completely replaced by HTML5?'

A: Never for interactive flash, such as games on the web.  You can already watch most videos without Flash loaded, but with an HTML5 capable browser.

Q: 'When will we no-longer need the 400th-odd-update to the Flash-plugins?'

A: When you are willing to give up Adobe Flash plug-in, Google's pepper-flash plugin, etc.

Q: Is there a replacement for Adobe Flash to play web-based games?

A: Presently there is javascript, and there are others under development, but there is no standard, just as there is no 'standard' for the API used to play Flash based games.

Paraphrase: I have not seen any work towards a total, drop-in replacement for Flash, and if there were, Adobe would probably be a suit from Adobe waiting in the wings!!!

Want to join the conversation? Become a Kim's Club member Sign in
-advertisement-