JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
bearrfoot

Did Microsoft secretly re-install my Win 10 system...?

...or was it someone else...?

A couple days ago I left my Win 10 computer alone and running for a couple hours.  When I got back and hit a key, a message in humongous-size text appeared and scrolled across the screen.  I don't recall the exact text, but something to the effect of: "We have updated (upgraded?) your computer, do not turn it off until reconfiguration is complete."

When it seemed to be finished, the desktop background was BLACK instead of the blue it had been, but otherwise looked about like I remembered it.

I saw no sign of anything "Microsoft" associated with this event...!

So far it seems to be working just like before, except power-up appears to be noticeably slower.

I'm wondering if MS is in the habit of automatically installing updates/upgrades in this manner.  Has anyone here seen something like this happen...?

Thanks...!

Yes, if you install updates/upgrades automatically, Microsoft DOES do this with no notice, especially when you leave your system unattended, then may take 2 hours or more (depending on your Internet speeds and your computer's capabilities) to finish the update.

Hi CW,

Can you tell me where to look in my machine to see if that update was the one referred to as "Windows 10 Creators Update" in the two pages you mentioned in this previous post...?

<<Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

https://www.microsof...ad/windows10ISO links to a page which gives partial instructions and download to allow creation of a Windows 10 installation medium if you cannot use the Windows 10 media creation tool.

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10 is the link for use inside Windows 10 with the media creation tool.>>

--------------------------

Interestingly, it seems both these URLs get me to the same page.  (Perhaps MS has cross-linked them and put all the info into one...?)

The implication seems to be that the "Creators Update" thingy is basically a total "repeal and replace" of the Win 10 system... Do you agree...?  (Hope MS has better luck than the GOP is having with their Obamacare "repeal and replace"...!)

Settings>Update and Security>Update History takes you to the listing of attempted updates and upgrades.

Is the "Creators Update" a nuke and repave update for Windows 10?  Not hardly.  It is closer to a Security Pack update (circa Windows XP or Windows 7) than even the update from Windows 8 to 8.1.

My computer did this this morning. It took 1 1/2 hours. It scared me because when I walked over to the computer the screen changed (as if someone was watching me) in huge text said "Hi we've got some updates for your pc". There were more messages but I did not write them down.

Yes. thanks to all...! 

I just got another one a couple days ago.  I guess we just have to assume MS has some high-level security built into Windows now that allows ONLY them to get in and do updates...!  Would hate to think my next one comes from Russia...

Sign in to follow this  

-advertisement-