JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
mymadame

Acer Aspire R3 drive not big enough for Windows 10

I bought a $250 laptop that I can't use because Windows 10 won't fit on the 30G hard drive.  It's eternally stuck in "UPDATING" mode.  I've done the factory reset recommended, and I sent it back to Acer for a clean out of unnecessary files to make more room for Windows, but it only takes a day or so before it's stuck again updating & not working.  Acer won't refund me b/c they say they checked with Microsoft before releasing the model and were told the hard drive was sufficient.  They say all parts are in working order (so it's not their problem).

I've been referred to  https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41172/kw/free%20up%20space/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5MTA3ODMyOC9zaWQvZlVUd2Q5OEpVVWwxZW8xVSU3RWNVYTN2Wmkwal9GQnElN0V4RnNSJTdFS0RTX3klN0VuTFVVZ0RsNmppclZRRlBCZTBBXzU4TU9CWDE0Y3Rra3FJVEhScGdqZVNiVW9Rd1UwdGpNd2xUc05XMk5vYSU3RW4lN0VYalJBYm54ZUYxbTl3JTIxJTIx

And I've read this:  

Connect a USB flash drive, external hard drive, or SD card with enough free space to install the update. The drive you connect must be 8 GB or larger (16 GB is recommended). You will need to keep this drive available if you want to use the go back feature in Windows 10 to return to your original operating system.  Some models like the Aspire R3-131T and ES1-111m do not support using an SD card to install the update. You will need to use a USB flash drive when installing the Windows 10 update on these models.

What can I do?  Here's my complaint to BBB:

Faulty product.  Laptop (R3-131T) cannot run Windows, therefore does not function.  Worked with customer support  technicians 3-4 times and product still does not run.  Repair will not resolve the fact that the 32GB drive cannot accommodate Windows.  Asked for refund & was refused.  

What has happened to Acer?  Are they becoming another IBM - Dell - HP ?  I've owned Acer laptops before & always appreciated their innovative design & reliability.  

I think that if Acer has made a faulty product, that it should own up to that & just do the right thing :  Allow me to return it for a refund.  A possible recall is probably necessary.

Was Windows 10  installed from the factory on the 30G hard drive?  Was it advertised as 'built for Windows 10'?  If either of these questions were true, you might possibly have a case, but if either answer was 'No', you have no cause for complaint.  You can possibly install and update Windows 10 on the drive, but not if you have any user data or applications installed on the drive, which would render it useless, but meet the criterion of being able to install Windows 10 on the computer.

As a BTW, you are not alone.  Articles have been posted this week that computers with Intel Clover Trail Atom processors have been blocked from updating beyond the 1607 (summer 2016) update. http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-blocks-windows-10-creators-update-on-some-pcs/  These PCs were sold with Windows 8, originally.  I work with a computer which was blocked from the 'free' Windows 10 update because the AMD single-core 64-bit processor was not supported by the update.

AFAIK, the update would not install to the removable device, but according to the quote you left, Windows 10 may use the removable device as a temporary storage space to swap out the old files before installing the new files on your 30G HDD.  This is why you need that same device to reverse the update.  That would be the only source of the old files.

Sorry, but I disagree about whether or not it was advertised as coming with Win-10 or not.  Buyers make good-faith purchases that the product will work.  This did not because Acer failed to build it correctly.  Of course, they blame MS for saying the disk size was okay.  They know that what they did is wrong.

Are there any other outlets besides BBB that a consumer like me can consult?

Curious:  What size HD did the next generation of comparable laptops have?

Curious:  What size HD did the next generation of comparable laptops have?

I am assuming from the specifications of this convertible device (which I would not by any means classify as a laptop) that the mass storage may be an SSD or possibly some other similar solid state device.  32G HDDs haven't been built for about 8 years.  A 64G or larger replacement may be available in the same form-factor, but Newegg is presently advertising a similar model number Acer product with a 500G HDD.

I used to have an Aspire R3-131T that came with Windows 10 and the only way I could get it to install major updates was to have an SDCard inserted and to tell windows update to use the SDCard as available storage. I also used an SDCard as data storage and tried to just keep minimal stuff on the internal storage. I had an 64GB memory card in mine and it worked well. That's the one drawback with these window devices with small internal storage is that they can fill up fast and mostly with OS related files. Windows is space hog and really will not work well with devices that have 32GB or less internal storage and unfortunately the internal storage is non-upgradeable. =(

-advertisement-