JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
conny5

Free W10 security programs

I have just purchased a new laptop with W10 and would like to know what free security programs  Kim recommends.

Does W10 have any built in security, such as, Microsoft Security Essentials? And if so, is that firewall and virus protection?

If this is the wrong section of the forums, please let me know which one I need.  Thanks!

I have been using an older free ZoneAlarm firewall on my Win 10 machine (in addition to the Win10 standard installation, I expect).  It's not the latest ZoneAlarm offering, which I did not install because that one threatened to put additional "features" on my screen.  Since installing the older version, I saw no problems until about a week ago when a white pop-up window began appearing in the middle of my screen during start-up.  It had some text including "zatray.exe" in it, which I tracked down to apparently originate in ZoneAlarm.  

It seems to do nothing except require an extra click to delete from the screen and waste a few seconds of start-up time.  However, if the Win 10 security is sufficient, I would remove ZoneAlarm entirely.

Do you recommend this...?

Also, if so, would you do the same with a Win 7 machine...?

Thanks...!

Bearfoot, I would recommend the built-in security measures in Windows 10 anytime over an offering which may not even support the differences between Win10 and Win7.  I might maintain ZoneAlarm on Windows 7, if it is a version which supports Win7 and is up-to-date, otherwise I would either drop back to Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall or obtain other protection which properly supports Win7.

Sign in to follow this  

Want to join the conversation? Become a Kim's Club member Sign in
-advertisement-