JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
MerryC

PCmatic v. avg v kapersky

I have always taken Kim's advice as gospel and use the programs she reviews and endorses. AVG seems to use so much of my cpu and memory although free, I see lots of ads of pcmatic being a US company and have never seen any comparisons or mention on any of Kim's sites I get. Although Kim recommends Kapersky, I am wary of a Russian program at this tine given everything that is going on, not that I am that important to want to hack, but...On my computer Ihave Windows Firewall, AVG, Malwarebytes (paid), Carbonite and Last Pass for my important programs. I also have Idrive which I got because of Kim's recommendation as a trial, BUT seems Carbonite works better because I can pause it and turn it back on when I am not heavily using the computer and Idrive is always on unless I go into Services and stop it since it take a lot of CPU space and memory while I try to work and slows everything down. Anyway, What about that PCmatic program? Is it any good. And is there a way to pause idrive without having to turn it off?

Merry

PCmatic from what I have seen seems to be a waste of time downloading.  As to the rest, I have used AVG free and still use Malwarebytes anti-malware free, and haven't tried Kaspersky, but it seems to have a good reputation elsewhere on the Web.

I mainly rely on the free Microsoft Windows Defender on my Windows machines,few though they be, backed up by Malwarebytes free scanner which I keep up to date manually, myself, but mainly browse the Web from my Linux based machines.

I have used Kaspersky for many years now and contrary to what happened in regards to the government saying that they had issues with the program which I believe were fabricated due to all of the crooked politicians we have elected as seen in the news for weeks now, I have had no issues !!  You know, the Government officials get caught doing something wrong and immediately look for someone else to point their finger at to blame !!  Kim Komando has also always spoken highly of Kaspersky too.  Kaspersky does and always has had a small footprint which consumes less computing power which I like as well.   :)

I'm on CW's team regarding Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. However, right now Malwarebytes keeps finding something on my Win 10 machine that I don't understand.   It dumps it into quarantine, but then it pops up again after the next time I open Chrome browser and re-run Malwarebytes.

It's name is "PUP.Optional.SearchStartPage".  I understand PUP means "Possibly Unwanted Program".  I thought I found a "fix" for it from Malwarebytes, but the procedure they listed dead-ended when I couldn't find a couple of the buttons they mentioned on the pages where they should have been: 

https://www.malwarebytes.com/restorebrowser/index.html.

I'm not sure if this PUP is doing any damage, but I have had several occurences of a ransomeware screen (white text on a RED background) pop up in the last couple weeks.  So far I have been able to recover by shutting down the computer via the lower right START button (which pops up very briefly when I move the curser down there and manage to click it fast enough).  Then I can power it up normally again.  Win 10 appears to be able to recover, but it's kinda scary.....!  No way to know if something is going on in the background....

Could this be related to the PUP Malwarebytes finds repeatedly...?

Sign in to follow this  

Want to join the conversation? Become a Kim's Club member Sign in
-advertisement-