JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Sign in to follow this  
rogerlee42

Unwanted security alert popups

Recently I've been getting security alerts that my computer is at risk. they want me to call a number to get it resolved. The number is an 888 number, but I don't trust it. The message is difficult to get deleted, but with persistence it gets done. How can I find out where they are coming from and how to get them stopped? I've tried all the virus programs like Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Wise Care, etc. but they keep coming back. The address on the program line is http://159.89.179.234/asr4/?c5a5e586b8a9ec0ftfn1d5a5e586b8aa25=(888)%20244-4885 ..... Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

rogerlee42

I should have mentioned I have 2 HP desktop computers, one runs Windows 10 Home, and the other runs Windows 10 Professional. I use Edge browser on both. I use Yahoo as my home page, but the security notices appear in any window that I'm using. I get the same messages on both computers. The messages aren't constant. Once I get it deleted, it doesn't come back for a long time, but I can't identify a specific pattern. 

It sounds as if you have picked up something in your Edge browser.  You might try Firefox, Google Chrome, or another browser for a while and see if the problem persists.

I still haven't figured this out. I've tried Firefox browser and it happens there as well. I've only seen it once on my Windows Pro machine, but frequently on the Windows Home machine. I've noticed the phone number to call is different at various times. I did a reverse lookup on the phone numbers and many people are identifying this as spam, so it looks like it's pretty spread around. Unfortunately, none of the virus scans are getting it, and no one has offered a solution. 

Anyone have any other ideas for locating and deleting it?

If it follows different browsers and is not found by your anti-virus/anti-malware programs, it is likely found on one or more of the web-sites which you use frequently from either pop-ups or malicious advertising.  Since I haven't had any problems similar, I can't help you directly.  It seems to affect your Windows machines only? Or have you also had similar problems with smart phones/tablets?  I browse the web almost exclusively from Linux based machines, and use either a Linux based machine or Android phone for email.

For me, it would be simple to boot from Linux Live media (similar to TAILS, but not quite as severe) or use a Chromebook or similar device which are impervious to (most) exploits and ignore that problem, but neither would allow upload/download of material from the web except from external devices like a thumb drive.

Thanks again CW. I guess I can only find this problem by experimenting a bit more. Since many other people have also Identified this problem, I imagine someone may figure it out and pass the word. It really doesn't do any harm tthat I know, but it is irritating to have to get by it so often. I should say, the problem is happening on my desktops. I do have a Dell laptop with Windows10 Pro that I have not had this problem yet. However, I don't use that laptop as much as the desktops.

I don't have a Smart Phone. I do have Android Komando Tab that I haven't used hardly at all. Kim sort of made me mad when a month after I bought it, she came out with a Windows10 Tablet. When she knows other manufacturers are coming out with new devises, she many times recommends waiting for the new device. But she didn't do that with her own new product. If I had known about it, I would have waited for the Windows10 device. I kinda felt she was intentionally dumping her old stock before the new arrived. So I set it aside and didn't do much with it. I guess I should go ahead and fire up the Komando Tab, download some software for it, and learn to use it to see if the problem follows me there, 

Anyway, thanks again for your input. I'll keep looking. 

Sign in to follow this  

Want to join the conversation? Become a Kim's Club member Sign in
-advertisement-