JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser. In order to watch videos JavaScript needs to be enabled. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Your browser is out of date and not supported. Click here to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
JamesF

Duplicate an old NAS to a new NAS

Hi, I need to replace the Hard Drives in an old home NAS. I have a second NAS to back it up to, but I cannot find any good (free or close to it) replication software to do the backup. I don't trust Windows to just copy 1000s of files (about 750G) to another box on my network. I've tried and run into various problems. It's just too big and takes too long. Also, once I'm done, I'd like to perform the backup periodically just in case one of the NASs goes bad. I want to run the backup manually because if the replication is automated and I stupidly delete all of the file from the first NAS, the second NAS goes as well. And that's more likely than a HD failure. Thank you

How many days do you have to dedicate to the task? Typical HDD access is about 600M/sec optimally, with no overhead from networking protocols, no matter how fast the network, and would take several hours just to access and read the files to be copied!  Best use would be to put both raw HDDs on the same NAS and use mirroring software on that NAS, then separate them.  Otherwise, can you connect the HDDs to a separate machine which can access the data on the hard drives after they have been formatted for NAS use and copy there?

This is likely to be long and drawn out, especially if you want to check for accuracy of the copy.

Want to join the conversation? Become a Kim's Club member Sign in
-advertisement-